Saturday, January 01, 2011

Chapter 6 is done

I just finished Fundamentals II's chapter 6. Besides all the wonderful material, this chapter weighs in at 78 exercises of all kinds. I really like the result. The draft is at 158 pages right now. It's time for a little break before I start with chapter 7, on threading.

By the way, how fitting that I get to write about threading now. At work, I have to fix this condition that leads to HPS scheduling the wrong Smalltalk process until you hit ctrl-y. Fortunately it's rare, but it should never happen to begin with. I had fixed a problem where signal handlers would smash the wrong stack page's stack limit, but there are some critical section style holes that need to be closed before the general scheduling functionality can be proven to work in every single case.

No comments: