Monday, August 17, 2009

Fundamentals volume 2, chapter 6

With some book chapters, I know I will have a good time writing them before I start. Writing about polymorphism was fantastic, and I already have a lot of really good material for the chapter on recursion. I have a feeling it will rival the chapter on optimization in size and scope.

Sometimes I don't click as quickly with chapters, though. I was sorting the material for chapter 6, which is about enumeration. And, at first, I thought it was going to be this skinny, unexciting 10 page thing. However, these guesses always end up being wrong. I started with an uninspiring list of things I wanted to talk about. But, as I began organizing them into clusters of similar items, and sorting the sequence of exposition, I realized how interesting the topic really is. The list is now double in length, and the exposition sequence that move from one cluster of subjects to the next has an enticing feeling to it. It's also fun to see which themes will persist through both volumes, and structure the text to give them room to shine.

This is going to be a fun, more like 50 page :) chapter.

No comments: