Friday, November 28, 2008

About the Fundamentals book

I just ran a page estimate for the Fundamentals book. It just reached 206 pages. Chapter 4 looks like it needs another 20. The rest of the material, from chapter 5 (on polymorphism) to chapter 9 (on optimization) seems to be enough to push the page count close to 800.

This is a huge problem for two reasons. First, Lulu only binds volumes of up to 740 pages. Second, it leaves zero room to write about Assessments!

So the plan of action is as follows: split off the material on Assessments into its own volume, and hope that I can shoehorn all the other material into 740 pages or less.

I feel better already. Eliminating the divisions that were cutting the Fundamentals book into two parts, one for the techniques and one for Assessments, gave me 4 more precious pages of space.

It seems that I have enough stuff to write books for the next 5 to 10 years now. Well, I better get going with it, or I won't be able to finish in time.

2 comments:

Stefan Schmiedl said...

Let me know when you page count exceed The Art of Computer Programming :-)

At least you don't have to invent your own typesetting system to publish your books ...

Looking forward to years of reading good stuff,
s.

Andres said...

Well, TAOCP is about... I'd say 2000-2500. I have just reached about 1000 pages so far. Maybe in 3 years or so.

Andres.