Monday, July 28, 2008

Regarding difficulty

A while ago I commented that it is hard to do something that has not been done before. The Smalltalks 2008 Coding Contest is one of those. I know what I want to do, I have the specs in mind and everything. But alas, there is not enough of the code written yet so it's even minimally functional. This is hard because you have to write code pretending that some other stuff you have not written yet actually exists, so it really taxes memory and what I'd describe as cache banks. I'd even go as far as saying that it requires a particular mood because one has to put up with this stress.

So far, I've written about 60kb worth of source code. Maybe when I get to 150kb it will become functional. I will probably have to write another 100kb or so after that. We will see how this prediction fares.

In the mean time, as Rodin said, work. Work... and patience.

No comments: