Sunday, July 27, 2008

The age of cool and lack of accomplishment

Sometimes I can't help thinking we're in an age of cool, or kewl perhaps. Some people have complained about this much more effectively than I could possibly do. However, I'd like to point out the following.

After you get all the gadgets, after you dress fancy and put gel on your hair, after you learn all the buzz words, after you emulate the people you're supposed to emulate because they are shown on TV, and after you decorate what was already known with your own bling, all of this effort and energy spent amounts to no more than a distraction. When this is removed, the truth remains:

The hard thing is to do something that has not been done before.

"I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in the rain... time to die." --- From Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, as adapted by the movie Blade Runner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in the rain... time to die." --- From Philip K. Dick's Blade Runner.

--------

That quote is certainly in the film Blade Runner, which was adapted from Philip K Dick's novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, but I don't think the quote was in the novel. As I recall, Rutger Hauer, improvised those lines for Roy Blatty's final scene. Those are beautiful, lyrical, and poetic words, but I think the credit goes to Rutger Hauer, not Philip K Dick.

Andres said...

Anonymous,

Thank you for the correction! I fixed that in the post.

Andres.