Tuesday, August 14, 2007

New papers available for download

Update: a new version of Instance Specific Behavior in Visual Smalltalk and Simulating Method Wrappers in Visual Smalltalk are now linked below. Make sure you have the latest versions!

So I got three new papers describing serious efforts done in Smalltalk. While the work was done in Visual Smalltalk, they illustrate very well how to attack development process issues using Smalltalk itself.

First, we have Simulating Method Wrappers in Visual Smalltalk and Instance Specific Behavior in Visual Smalltalk. Note that related topics were discussed at length over the IRC channel not long ago. These papers include several techniques to speed up performance. With these facilities in your system, you have a code coverage tool essentially for free, and you can also do things such as checking for stack overflow via SUnit without actually causing it (!).

Finally, we have An Efficient Difference Finder, which talks about how to use a code coverage tool made possible by the previous paper to streamline code merging. It is fascinating to see how the patterns I've seen work so well at other places are present here too. I guess there are only so many ways in which you can be productive.

The papers can be downloaded from ftp://sqrmax.homeip.net. Note there is no anonymous user, so you have to use the user name "smalltalkVideo" with the password "now". Also, be sure to use active FTP. Or, if you have trouble with the FTP server, use the HTTP links above.

Enjoy!

Update: the files are available at the FTP server now, user "smalltalk" password "now".

4 comments:

Carl Gundel said...

Thanks for making those available. Could you perhaps publish web links to them? I am unable to download them, even though I am able to log in using active FTP. I tried both IE and Firefox without luck.

Andres said...

Carl,

Hmm, I am sorry you are having trouble. Did you use the user/password pair I gave above? I could get to them without problems...

Thanks,
Andres.

Carl Gundel said...

Hi Andres. Yes, I have no trouble logging into the FTP server with that username and password, but when I try to download the files I get errors. I tried just clicking on the links and also the Save target as option. No luck. :-(

Andres said...

Carl,

Sigh... there are HTTP links now. Sorry for the mess!

Andres.