Saturday, October 28, 2006

Getting to know Mr. Warhol

I lost myself at Powell's main branch, looking for the new postcards they have, each with a different design based on the room they are in. And in the Pearl Room, I found a book about Andy Warhol. Well, I had heard a lot about Mr. Warhol, but had never done research on my own. Therefore, I looked at this book which was extraordinarily large, both in page count and page size.

The thick paper reproduced his art, which I have to say did not impress me much. More interestingly, however, the paper also reproduced quotes. Soon enough, I was flipping pages looking for the quotes and skimming over the glossy prints. Out of all the ones I read, besides the famous 15 minute one, here are three that called my attention.

They always say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.

When you think about it, department stores are kind of like museums.

It's the movies that have really been running things in America since they were invented. They show you what to do, how to do it, when to do it, how to feel about it, and how to look how you feel about it.

Alas... I find them to be so true... especially the last one, in particular when one replaces "movies" with "TV shows"...

No comments: