Monday, June 26, 2006

Hope

In the days of the Soviet Union, there was a fabulous book editing house called Mir. They took the best books they had and translated them into a multitude of languages. As the wall fell, so did Mir and now those fantastic books cannot be obtained anymore. It is a true pity, since the translations and editions were perfect.

I have an original copy of "Recreative Problems and Experiments", by Yakov Isidorovich Perelman. Mr. Perelman was more than a gifted bookwriter. Besides making all sorts of mathematical problems extremely interesting and fun to read, he also had a thing for different problems.

Eventually I got hold of more of his "recreative" books on mathematics, physics, and many other things. I had a great discussion about them with a friend today, and as a result I have decided to start reproducing the problems once a day or two. Hopefully you will find them interesting. The solution will be posted with the next problem.

Good luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't have all of Perelman's books, but they are some of the best in layman's language. I loved Mir Publishers, Being from India, they were really affordable in my days(15 years ago). I miss them too. I am still hunting for the missing books though.